Things to Avoid
A beautiful rug, oriental or simple, is often the staple piece of every room. However, there is a price to pay for the beauty of such an item, which comes in the form of a certain carefulness. Since most rugs are very delicate, they are also prone to damage due to several factors, which are often overlooked. But fear not – Deep Clean is here to teach you a couple of tips and tricks on how to keep your rug looking as new as possible for a long period of time.
Aside from simply cleaning the rug, there are a few hacks that can preserve the item and help it stay looking good in between cleaning sessions:
- Avoid placing heavy furniture on the rug, since it can leave dents in the material and wear the colour out.
- Rotate the rug from time to time; this prevents exposure to the same kind of damage and wear – especially if there is direct sunlight coming in from one side (this can cause unequal discolouration).
- Avoid moth and bug attacks by spraying the rug with a special moth spray at least twice a year.
- Protect the rug from dirt stains from shoes; clean shoes thoroughly on a doormat or maybe even take them off inside the house.
- Avoid postponing repairs if there is visible damage – this will only get worse over time.
- If there is a stain on your rug, mix one teaspoon of dish washing liquid and one teaspoon of vinegar with a bit of warm water – don’t use bleach-based cleaners since they will bleach the colour/pattern and cause noticeable discolouration.
- Avoid steam cleaning and persistent vacuuming – it is enough to gently vacuum the rug once a month, especially since persistent vacuuming/steam cleaning is definitely too rough for a rug.
- Avoid taking your rug to dry cleaners; it is better to get it picked up by professional rug cleaning companies instead.
If you are interested in learning about how to how to clean a rug, you can find some at-home tips here.
You May Also Like Reading